Developing Something New and InnovativeThe NMITAP is run and maintained by CNM Ingenuity, Inc., a branch of the Central New Mexico Community College. The program was started after CNM received a 3 million dollar grant from the Department of Labor. The NMITAP team has been working hard in its first year and a half with employer partners and the State Apprenticeship Office to create the training programs. They’ve created the first Information Technology (IT) registered apprenticeship program in the state. In addition, most apprenticeships are run from a company or support organization. However, in this case, NMITAP has the resources of a community college behind them.
Offerings in the ProgramNMITAP currently offers three different program tracks:
- Customer User Support Specialist
- Network Support Technician
- Applications Developer
- Cyber Security Support Technician
- Medical Coder
Technology Training ProcessThe NMITAP team does most of the work. The process runs like this:
- The NMITAP recruits individuals to apply to the apprenticeship program. The program’s target market includes women, veterans, and the unemployed.
- The NMITAP recruits a business that’s interested in hiring apprentices.
- The business creates or has an open position for the apprentice, and pays them a wage.
- An apprentice starts at the business as a paid employee, receives on-the-job training, also receives program specific training in the form of free classes through NMITAP.